We're Hiring: Shop Assistant
At Paper Hearts™, we’re passionate about changing the way the world feels. We’re a seaside stationery & design studio that makes whimsical treasures with love, care & salty air for over 265 retail boutiques across Canada.
Our team also runs Paper Hearts Post Office, an snail mail collective that licenses the work of local artists for the Sobeys family of stores across the country. In addition to that, we run a small stationery shop in the North End of Halifax, and we create graphic arts, branding assets & custom card programs for clients across Canada.
- job opening: shop assistant (part-time. seasonal with potential to extend)
- start date: October 1st, 2021
- availability: Mon - Wed 10-6 | Friday 10-6 | Some Weekend Coverage (8-32 hours per week, willing to hire multiple P/T people)
- compensation range: $15.00 per hour to start
- growth opportunities: there may be an opportunity for more hours at the shop in the foreseeable future. The right candidate may also have the opportunity to grow into an Assistant Shop Manager position within 1 year of working with our team.
- apply by: Monday September 20, 2021
- Working primarily in our retail shop, located at 6061 Willow Street in the North End of Halifax.
- Assisting customers, answering questions & providing a welcoming & delightful experience in the shop.
- Packaging product & organizing the studio and shop space.
- Fulfilling online orders from both retailers & customers.
- Receiving inventory, pricing products & merchandising.
- Cleaning the shop at the end of your shift to ensure that we keep a welcoming, safe & clean environment for our staff & customers.
- Working in Shopify to create orders, track inventory, update our webstore, etc.
- Be responsible for opening & locking up the store.
- Must work well independently (you will often be on shifts alone).
we are looking for someone who:
- Is reliable, trustworthy & dedicated to our team & our company.
- Wants to change the way the world feels.
- Loves small business, makers, dreamers & shopping local.
- Loves supporting our community & charities in creative ways.
- Has an ALL IN attitude.
- Wouldn't dream of saying "that's not my job" ... like ... please no.
- Loves working as part of a team, but also is comfortable working alone.
- Is a self-starter & seeks solutions before coming to management with problems to solve.
- Takes their work seriously, but doesn’t take themselves too seriously (we like to be silly & have a good time at work).
- Is detail oriented, thorough & cares about the work they put out in the world.
- Is friendly, loves people, is polite, enthusiastic & loves to work hard & have fun!
- must provide a criminal background check.
- must be comfortable taking your breaks at your own discretion, when there are no customers in the store (as you will often be working alone). It may not be possible to schedule your breaks for specific times during the day (unless you are working with another person on your shift).
- there is a 3 month probationary period, to establish that we are a good fit for each other!
- this is a seasonal position from October 1st - January 2022, the right candidate may be offered a permanent position by December 2021.
All interested candidates are invited to apply by emailing (or dropping off) your resume & a note about why you're the perfect fit for our company to Stefanie MacDonald at:
Looking forward to meeting you! ✨✨✨
Diversity and Inclusion Policy
Halifax Paper Hearts Graphic Design Inc.
Last Updated: January 2022
At Halifax Paper Hearts, we do not tolerate racism, sexism and misogyny, homophobia, transphobia, ableism, xenophobia, Islamophobia, ageism, or any other form of discrimination. We are committed to a culture of recognizing our implicit biases, responding to feedback, and addressing any microaggressions that we witness within the Paper Hearts community. In order to support and reflect our community, we are open to making accommodations as needed and prioritizing the hiring of Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour, newcomers, people with disabilities, LGBTQ+ folks, and people of all ages and religions.
These commitments will be reflected in our employment opportunities with Halifax Paper Hearts and in building our community in our collective of local artists featured on Paper Hearts Post Office stands. Whether we are approaching new artists of our own accord or reviewing submitted applications, our values remain the same. A message conveying our commitment to serving, hiring, and amplifying marginalized voices will be included on all calls for artists, artist applications, and employment opportunities.
We undertake an annual review of this policy in January of every year to evaluate its effectiveness in creating a diverse and inclusive environment at Halifax Paper Hearts. Our annual review was last completed in January of 2022.