We're Hiring: Shop Manager
At Paper Hearts™, we’re passionate about changing the way the world feels. We’re a seaside stationery & design studio that makes whimsical treasures with love, care & salty air for over 300 retail boutiques across Canada.
Our team also runs Paper Hearts Post Office, a snail mail collective that licenses the work of local artists for the Sobeys family of stores across the country. In addition to that, we run a small stationery shop in the North End of Halifax, and we create graphic arts, branding assets & custom card programs for clients across Canada.
- job opening: shop manager (full time)
- start date: On or before December 1, 2023 (can be flexible)
- availability: Mon - Fri 10 - 6 | Some weekends when required (32 to 40 hrs)
- compensation range: Starting at $18.00 per hour (2 weeks paid vacation + benefits)
- apply by: Sunday, November 19, 2023
- Working primarily in our retail shop, located at 6061 Willow Street in the North End of Halifax.
- Assisting customers, answering questions & providing a welcoming & delightful experience in the shop.
- Ordering inventory for our shop + merchandising the store shelves.
- Packaging product (that we make) & organizing the studio and shop space.
- Caring for our studio cat, Molly (she is actually our neighbour's cat and visits us every day, sleeps in the sun, gets pets, and helps customers pick out cards. She also lays on our tissue paper and makes it very difficult to pack orders - but here we are).
- Fulfilling online orders from both retailers & customers.
- Fulfilling and organizing wholesale orders to support our Key Accounts Manager.
- Receiving inventory, pricing products & merchandising inventory.
- This includes breaking down cardboard boxes and putting them outside on the appropriate days. You're also required to take out the garbage, paper & plastic recycling daily.
- This may mean moving boxes from our storage unit to our back room, and downstairs to the basement. Some light lifting is required (less than 30 lbs).
- Cleaning the shop at the end of your shift to ensure that we keep a welcoming, safe & clean environment for our staff & customers.
- Managing the integrity of our space (ordering repairs & maintenance as required).
- Working in Shopify to create orders, track inventory, update our webstore, etc.
- Be responsible for opening & locking up the store.
- Assistance with scheduling, payroll, vendor payments, accounts payable and other administrative tasks., as required.
- Executive Assistant (administrative support) to the CEO, as required.
- Posting to social media accounts from the shop at least three times per week.
- Must work well independently (you will work alone quite frequently).
we are looking for someone who:
- Is SUPER organized, detail oriented, energetic & works well independently.
- Is reliable, trustworthy & dedicated to our team & our company.
- Wants to change the way the world feels.
- Loves small business, makers, dreamers & shopping local.
- Loves supporting our community & charities in creative ways.
- Has an ALL IN attitude.
- Wouldn't dream of saying "that's not my job" ... like ... please no.
- Loves working as part of a team, but also is comfortable working alone.
- Is a self-starter & seeks solutions before coming to management with problems to solve.
- Takes their work seriously, but doesn’t take themselves too seriously (we like to be silly & have a good time at work).
- Is thorough & cares about the work they put out in the world.
- Is friendly, loves people, is polite, enthusiastic & loves to work hard & have fun!
- Must provide a criminal background check.
- Must be comfortable taking your breaks at your own discretion, when there are no customers in the store (as you will sometimes be working alone). It may not be possible to schedule your breaks for specific times during the day (unless you are working with another person on your shift, then of course you can)!
- There is a 3 month probationary period, to establish that we are a good fit for each other!
- All interested candidates are invited to apply by emailing (or dropping off) your resume & a note about why you're the perfect fit for our company to
Stefanie MacDonald at:
- 6061 Willow Street, Halifax, NS
Looking forward to meeting you! ✨✨✨
Diversity and Inclusion Policy
Halifax Paper Hearts Graphic Design Inc.
Last Updated: January 2023
At Halifax Paper Hearts, we do not tolerate racism, sexism and misogyny, homophobia, transphobia, ableism, xenophobia, Islamophobia, ageism, or any other form of discrimination. We are committed to a culture of recognizing our implicit biases, responding to feedback, and addressing any microaggressions that we witness within the Paper Hearts community. In order to support and reflect our community, we are open to making accommodations as needed and prioritizing the hiring of Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour, newcomers, people with disabilities, LGBTQ+ folks, and people of all ages and religions.
These commitments will be reflected in our employment opportunities with Halifax Paper Hearts and in building our community in our collective of local artists featured on Paper Hearts Post Office stands. Whether we are approaching new artists of our own accord or reviewing submitted applications, our values remain the same. A message conveying our commitment to serving, hiring, and amplifying marginalized voices will be included on all calls for artists, artist applications, and employment opportunities.
We undertake an annual review of this policy in January of every year to evaluate its effectiveness in creating a diverse and inclusive environment at Halifax Paper Hearts. Our annual review was last completed in January of 2022.